Health cover

It is a condition of an Australian student visa that the student holds valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of their study in Australia. OSHC is a private health care arrangement which helps cover the costs of medical treatments should you get sick or have an accident.

Holding health insurance in your home country does not exempt you from the obligation of having OSHC. Only the citizens of the following countries are exempt from obtaining OSHC as they have an inter-governmental arrangement with Australia:

  • Norwegian students who are covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • Swedish students who are covered by CSN International (the Swedish National Board of Student Aid) or Kammarkollegiet (the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administration Agency)
  • Belgian students covered by the Belgian Government Insurance Scheme
  • New Zealand citizens not on a student visa who have entitlements under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between New Zealand and Australia

ANU prefers Worldcare (Allianz Assistance) to provide students’ health cover. However, this preference does not restrict you from obtaining OSHC from a provider of your choice. A list of approved providers can be found on the Department of Health and Ageing website.

If you have been living or studying in Australia prior to attending ANU, or if you currently hold private health cover in Australia, make sure your cover is approved for OSHC and is extended for the length of your new visa.

See the International Office website for more information on OSHC.

Updated:  15 October 2014/ Responsible Officer:  Registrar/ Page Contact:  DRSS Communications