International applicants

International agents

The University has an extensive network of official agents in more than 50 countries to represent ANU across the world. ANU agents can help you with your enquiries and all aspects of your application.

For the purposes of admission and enrolment at ANU, international applicants are those who are not domestic, which includes:

  • Citizens of countries other than Australia or New Zealand
  • New Zealand permanent residents
  • People who do not hold an Australian permanent resident or humanitarian visa

The application process varies, depending on the type of program you want to apply for.

Note: where students under the age of 18 are not being cared for in Australia by a parent or suitable nominated relative, registered providers ensure the arrangements made to protect the personal safety and social well-being of those students are appropriate. See the information for under 18 students for more information.

Undergraduate programs

Undergraduate programs are typically the first degree taken at university (includes bachelor degrees, diplomas and associate degree programs). School leavers will need to apply for an undergraduate program.

» I want to apply for an undergraduate program

Honours programs

An honours year allows students to develop in depth knowledge in their area of research.  Most disciplines will involve advanced coursework and a significant written component. 

» To apply for an honours program, refer to the honours information from the relevant ANU College

Graduate coursework

Graduate coursework programs are normally undertaken by someone who has completed an undergraduate degree or obtained significant relevant professional experience (includes graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master and Graduate Studies Select programs).

» I want to apply for a graduate coursework degree

Graduate or Higher Degree Research (HDR)

Graduate research/HDR is a research-focused degree usually undertaken by someone who has completed a previous degree with a significant research component (includes Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and professional doctorates).

» I want to apply for a research/HDR degree

Global mobility programs

Inbound exchange students can combine academic study and a wealth of social and cultural opportunities over a period of one to two semesters. The University’s mix of outstanding resources, excellent support services and distinguished academic staff encourages academic success in a city ideally suited for visiting students.

» I want to apply for a global mobility program

Refer to programs and courses if you are unsure of the type of program you want to study.

Updated:  21 May 2014/ Responsible Officer:  Registrar/ Page Contact:  DRSS Communications