Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

After the census date passes for your enrolled courses, you will be provided with an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice. This is known as a CAN or eCAN.

The eCAN includes important information about your enrolment, any HELP debt (HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP) you have incurred or student contribution amounts you have paid, and any loan fee you may have incurred.

Students who defer their fees to FEE-HELP are responsible for checking that they have enough FEE-HELP balance to cover the cost of their enrolment.

How do I view my eCAN?

eCANs are located on your ISIS account in the "Account Details" section. ANU doesn't email or post eCANs to students.

As ISIS is only accessible to current students, graduating students should save or print all their eCANs before graduation so they can access them after ISIS access is lost. You will be charged for reprint of documents after access has been removed. For one to five items, the cost will be $20. For six or more items, the cost will be $40. Please note that one invoice equals one item.

Who will receive an eCAN?

All students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place will have an eCAN generated at each census date for their enrolled courses. Graduate students that have elected to use FEE-HELP will also have an eCAN generated at each census date for their enrolled courses. 

When will my eCAN be available?

An eCAN will be posted on your ISIS account no later than 28 days after the census date of each of your courses.

What if there is an error on my eCAN?

You should check the details on your e-CAN carefully to ensure:

  • the amount you have been charged is correct
  • that any units from which you have been withdrawn on or before the census date have not been included

If you believe the information on your eCAN is incorrect, you have 14 days from the date the eCAN was generated to make a written request to the Student Information Services Office to confirm and correct the error.

What does an eCAN look like?

Below is a sample eCAN.


More questions?

Your eCAN is generated based on your enrolment, therefore if you have any questions about the eCAN, you should contact the Student Information Services Office.

Updated:  18 October 2014/ Responsible Officer:  Registrar/ Page Contact:  DRSS Communications