Information for international students

ANU is an ideal university for international students. More than one in four of our students are international citizens and we have more than 5,000 students living on campus.

ANU is ranked 1st in Australia and 27th in the world*, and we have a five star rating for graduate outcomes^.

We'd love to welcome you to study at Australia's national university.

Where to start

If you’re thinking about studying at ANU as an international student the links below will help you explore your options. Or, watch the video and explore what the day in the life of an international student at ANU is really like

You might also like to download our international student guides.

» back to top

Cost of living

As part of your visa application you will be asked to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds available to cover the expenses you will incur while studying in Australia for the duration of your stay.

More information on the cost of living in Canberra can be found on our Cost of living webpage.

» back to top


Uni House

ANU offers a wide variety of student residences, but supply is limited.

International undergraduate students are guaranteed accommodation in a student residence, but others may need to search for off-campus accommodation.

You may also need to find a short-term place to stay on your arrival if your student residence accommodation is not immediately available.

More information about all student accommodation options can be found at the Residential & Campus Communities website.

» back to top

Conditions of study

Confirmation of enrolment

An electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) document is issued to all international students once you have accepted your offer to study at ANU. This document confirms the duration of your program of study and is required to apply for a student visa.

Any changes to your program of study approved by ANU will require a new eCoE to be issued.

Overseas student health cover

It is a condition of your student visa that you hold valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia. You can nominate ANU to arrange OSHC for you or you can source your own OSHC provider prior to arriving in Australia.

The University's preferred OSHC provider is Allianz Global Assistance who have representatives at ANU Student Central 9am-4:30pm (excluding 12-1pm) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Or you can email

More information about OSHC can be found at the Department of Health & Ageing website.

Visa & passports

As an ANU student you must ensure you hold a current visa which entitles you to study for the duration of your program. Typically this is a 573 or 574 student visa. You should apply for a student visa as soon as you receive your eCoE.

All visas are subject to conditions and you must ensure that you comply with the conditions of your visa at all times.

More information on student visa options and conditions can be found at the Department of Immigration & Border Protection website.

You are also required to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay in Australia. If your passport is due to expire while you are in Australia you should check how to renew it before you depart.

Report your details

The University must always be able to contact you and have an accurate record of your visa and passport details.

Changes to your contact details should be notified to ANU within five working days. If your visa or passport details change ANU must be notified with 10 working days.

More information on notification processes can be found on our Visa requirements page.

Study load

You are expected to complete your course within the time specified in your eCoE. This requires you to enrol at 100 per cent study load each semester – i.e. 24 units. Reducing your study load will extend the duration of your program of study, violating the conditions of your student visa.

You can only reduce your study load in limited, exceptional circumstances, and you will be required to substantiate your request with supporting documentation (e.g. medical/ counselling certificates).

More information on requirements can be found on our Study load page.

Academic progress

It is a condition of your student visa that you achieve satisfactory academic progress. ANU is required to report unsatisfactory academic progress to the Department of Immigration & Border Protection.

If you are identified as at risk of not making satisfactory academic progress, you will be asked to attend a progress meeting and agree measures to help you improve your progress.

More information on requirements can be found on our Expected academic performance page.

» back to top


ANU offers free 'meet, greet & transfer' services at both the airport and the bus station, 8.30am–8.30pm during semester one and semester two orientation. You must register for this service at least one week before your arrival.

If you arrive at a time when there is no meet, greet & transfer service there are other transport options available:

  • Taxis are available at the front of the airport building, or can be booked in advance » read more
  • Buses are available to get around Canberra or as an Airport Express Shuttle service » read more

Use our online registration form to request the meet, great & transfer service during the available times.

» back to top

Once you've arrived

» back to top

Resources to help you

There are many services and resources to help our international students succeed while in Australia. A small selection is highlighted below, and others can be found through the Student life webpage.

Education Services for Overseas Students

Universities and international students are governed by the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS). This legislation safeguards the interests of international students and assists ANU to monitor student compliance with visa conditions.

More information can be found at the Australian Education International website.


UniSafe is a safety services program run by ANU Security. You can use the UniSafe bus or request a UniSafe guard escort to your destination.

More information can be found at the ANU Security webpage.

Working in Australia

Search for job vacancies and get general advice on whether you can work in Australia, what your workplace right are, and how to find a job.

More information can be found at the Careers Centre website.


The Student Information & Guidance Network (SIGN) Mentoring program allows you to register and get paired up with a student mentor who can help you ease into your first semester of life at ANU.

More information can be found at the SIGN mentoring program page.

Academic skills

ANU offers students free and confidential assistance with their academic work at any point during their program of study.

More information can be found at the Academic Skills & Learning Centre webpage.

Health services

Both male and female doctors are on hand to offer primary health care for current ANU international students and family members listed on the student's OSHC card.

More information can be found at the Health Services website.


There are four childcare centres on campus, catering for babies, toddles and pre-school children. School-aged children, regardless of residential status, must enrol in the appropriate school year.

More information can be found at the Parenting rooms & childcare webpage.

» back to top


Completing a program of study is a significant achievement and is celebrated at the University's conferring of awards ceremony. All the information you need can be found in the Graduation & prizes webpages.

Visitor visa

If your family would like to attend your graduation ceremony, they must apply for a Visitor visa under the Tourist stream. You will act as the sponsor for your family member's application, and you may need to supply ANU documents (e.g. completion letter, program confirmation, enrolment confirmation) in support of their application.

More information about the Visitor visa can be found at the Department of Immigration & Border Protection website.


Stay connected to the ANU community after you graduate by joining the ANU alumni network. You will probably find that there is an ANU Alumni Chapter in your home country that you can engage with, as well as a host of online resources.

More information about ANU alumni can be found at the Alumni website.

» back to top


Future students

+61 1800 620 032

or find and agent in your country to talk to.

Current students

+61 135 268

or head to Student Central to ask a question.

» back to top

Updated:  18 July 2014/ Responsible Officer:  Registrar/ Page Contact:  DRSS Communications