Student cards

All students enrolling at ANU are issued with a student ID card. Your ANU student card is your official form of identification on campus. This card must be carried at all times when you are on campus, and must be provided upon request to ANU staff and security officers.

Important notice: NSW Transport concession sticker

As of January 2014, the NSW Transport Authority has revised the credentials to receive the NSW Transport concession sticker.

This sticker is only available to full-time domestic students who reside permanently in NSW and study on campus. Possessing this sticker when you do not meet these requirements will incur a $200 fine.

If you live in NSW and commute to ANU for your study you may be eligible for this sticker. Please contact Student Central with proof of residency (mail or rental agreement with the address listed), and a completed NSW tertiary student concession card application form (PDF), to acquire a sticker.

For further clarification on the eligibility of this service, please refer to the NSW Transport Authority website.

Why do I need a student card?

Your ANU student ID card can be used for the following purposes:

  • proof of identification to staff members on campus
  • borrowing rights for ANU Libraries (activated overnight)
  • access to printers and copiers in InfoPlace
  • access to computer labs
  • access to buildings on campus
  • compulsory identification when sitting official University examinations
  • student discounts in Canberra (transport etc).

How do I get a student card?

Student cards are normally available from the Student Central except during new student enrolment periods.

You must present photo ID (passport or driver's license) to obtain your ANU student card.

Note, you must be fully enrolled on ISIS before you can get your student card. You should be able to view your enrolment in ISIS as soon as it is finalised.

Off-campus students

Distance students can apply for a student card using the Application for a Student Card (distance students only) form (PDF, 329KB).

Please post completed forms to:

Student Information Services
Student Central
Building X-005
121 Marcus Clarke Street
ANU, ACT, Australia, 0200

Updating or replacing your student card

Your student card must be updated on or before the expiry date (usually 31 March each year). This needs to be done at Manning Clark Centre (building 26a) between the 14-16 July, or at Student Central at all other times.

To have your card replaced you must bring in appropriate photo ID (driver's license or passport). A replacement fee of $25 will be charged for any damaged, broken or lost cards that require replacement. If your card/wallet has been stolen you will still be charged $25 unless you provide a police report documenting the theft claim.

If you have a new card printed, building access will work immediately, but library access will not be available until the next day.

Please note that payments can only be taken 9am-4pm daily.


Your student card remains the property of ANU, so you are expected to keep the card in good condition, and return it to ANU if requested.

Students may only have one student card at any time, so if your card needs to be replaced at the enquiries counter, you will be required to return the original card to Student Central. This is to avoid fraudulent use of ANU student cards.

Problems with a student card

Depending on the problem, different areas can help:

  • Building access - ANU Security controls the building access on your student card. Any problems should be directed to them, and their phone number is 6125 2249 (and is on the back of your card).
  • Library access - Problems with library access can sometimes be solved with the relevant library. If not then you should come to Student Central.
  • Both - If both your building access and library access are not working, then you should come in to Student Central.

Updated:  1 October 2014/ Responsible Officer:  Registrar/ Page Contact:  DRSS Communications